Work to Live

“So many of us choose our path out of fear disguised as practicality. What we really want seems impossibly out of reach and ridiculous to expect, so we never dare to ask the universe for it. I’m saying, I’m the proof that you can ask the universe for it…please!”

Jim Carrey, 2014 commencement address.

The quote above ties directly into what I have been pondering. The bulleted version of my current musings is below:

  • 65% of people are satisfied with their jobs per a study from HR Daily Advisor; therefore, about 1/3 of people are dissatisfied. Benefits are a key factor per the same study.
  • The system, at least in America, incentivizes one to join the corporate world. College leads to job/career which provides benefits including healthcare and a 401k (with a contribution amount 3x that of an IRA).
  • The healthcare is nice because many jobs will also degrade your health in some manner (stress or sedentary lifestyle).
  • Most jobs will take 40+ hours of your week.
  • Many of the wealthiest individuals have multiple streams of income (job, interest, dividends, rental properties, business ownership, etc.). Seven sources of income is mentioned a lot.
  • People frequently define who they are by what they do, which is great if you are pursuing your passion, but what percentage of the 65% who are satisfied is that true for? I assume that the remaining 35% aren’t passionate.

I am working on is my own alternative. I have the investments. I have done the job and might again, but for now, I am exploring all others. Work to live, don’t live to work.

If anyone wants to share their own story or point me towards a relevant post, I would love to hear your thoughts.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

George Bernard Shaw

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: